Plain Ol’ Beet Greens
- fresh greens from 6-8 large beets, remove the larger part of the stems
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 pieces of bacon and drippings
- 1/3 of a sweet Vidalia onion
- Rinse the beet greens and remove the woody stems. Chop the greens in to bite size pieces and in a large pot, combine the greens, water, and vinegar.
- In a large sautee pan, cook the bacon and remove it once it’s done. There should be 1-2 tablespoons of drippings left. If there is more, remove them until you have just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Saute the onions, and once the greens are dark and limp, use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and add them to the saute pan. If you want, chop up the bacon and add it to the greens. Sometimes I’ve already eaten the bacon while the onions are sauteing.
- Add some of the “pot liquor” (the water in which the beets were cooked). Let the greens simmer for another 15 minutes or so.
- Hom Big-Jon: Thai Inspired Hoppin’ John (tartlittlepiggy.wordpress.com)
- Vibrant Beet Soup with Beet Greens (habituallyhungry.wordpress.com)
- roasted beets (tasteinspired.wordpress.com)